Faith · Religious life · spirituaility

January 31st – Seeing beyond the surface

Scripture Reflection . . .

In the Gospel, the crowd’s amazement at Jesus’ words turns to skepticism, “Isn’t this the son of Joseph?” (Luke 4:21-30).  They might as well have said, “He’s just an ordinary man, how can he make such claims?”  The seeds of faith remained on the surface and quickly dried up and turned to doubt and rejection.

But if these seeds of faith sink deeper into the soil and our nourished by openness and love there is more to see.  Jesus is also the Son of God.  And God sees beyond the surface.  The First Reading from Jeremiah proclaims, “Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, before you were born I dedicated you, a prophet to the nations I appointed you” (1:4-17).

seeds

We too are invited to see beyond the surface, to go deeper, to say with the Psalmist, “On you I depend from birth; from my mother’s womb you are my strength” (Psalm 71).  The Second Reading, goes to the core of who we are – known and loved by God and created to love; ” At present I know partially; then I shall know fully, as I am fully known.  So faith, hope, love remain, these three; but the greatest of these is love” (1 Cor.12:31 – 13:13).

iceberg

In Our Lives as Sisters of The Holy Redeemer . . .

We pause to reflect on the experiences of deepening in our lives this past week.

On Monday two Sisters returned from Texas after a week long program on the formation of new members to religious life.  One fact they reviewed about humans is that we are consciously aware of only 10% of our selves.  The other 90% is below the surface – our subconsciousness and the realm of our true selves – fascinating!  Much of our behavior comes from our subconsciousness – a bit frightening! But life offers the opportunity to go deeper to learn more about our true selves – the person we were created to be in our mother’s womb, if we are attentive to our actions and why we do what we do.

ForMission

 

During this week another Sister has been in Florida to attend a workshop and visit the Redeemer Associates residing there.

FL Associates

And while these Sisters enjoyed the warm sunny weather of the Southern regions the rest of the community was going deeper . . . in snow – the big blizzard of 2016!

snow bench

snow SJM

snow car

 

 

But this didn’t stop the community garden from growing!  Some of the gardeners helped plant the first seedlings in the greenhouse. We now wait for the seeds below the surface to send forth life.

greenhouse

A new Chaplain joined us and presided over our morning liturgies this week.  In one homily he shared that as he ponders the scripture readings for the day he listens for what catches his attention.  By going deeper into this initial awareness it becomes the content of his homily.

In Your Life . . .

We are in the deep of winter, it is a good time to move a little slower, bundle up, hunker down, hibernate, settle into your soul a bit more.  Perhaps it is like being in the womb of winter. A time to go deeper into who you are and whose you are.  You may wish to pray with Psalm 139.

polar bear baby

Blessings on you and your week!

Advertisements